Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Poetry?

"How to Recognize a Poem When You See One" by Stanley Kish was very interesting to read, amusing even. He described how one day, he put the following on the board:

Jacobs-Rosenbaum
Levin
Thorne
Hayes
Ohman (?)

Then, he had his classes explain what it was. The more technical class recognized right away that they are all names of linguists, but his poetry class came up with a pretty deep interpretation. The class was explaining the symbolism to Christ.... Jacob is in the Bible, thorns pierced Christ's head, and one boy even pointed out that the most prominent letters are S O and N, as in Son of God. Imagine their reactions as they all realized that they are all names of linguists, rather than a symbolic poem.
Stanley Kish said that "Poems are an ongoing accomplishment," which I agree with. Poems mean different things to different people, and I love hearing the views and ideas of others. Sometimes I pick apart the ideas to enhance what I think, and sometimes I disagree with other stances completely.
There is a point where poems become over-analyzed, but for the most part, I think poems are a form of expression. Once the words/expressions are out there, readers are entitled to make their own assumptions of the poem, and allow it to influence them how they wish. Poems are not written to satisfy others, rather to lay out feelings, and hopefully touch another life in the process. I love how William Wordsworth says "Fill the paper with the breathings of your heart." That is how I recognize poems; when it is genuine, when the words are real and they make me feel. Some may read it as a list of names, but others may read it as a poem that helps them come closer to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment