Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beginnings

This is the beginning of my sonnet.... in 7th grade, my teacher would have us pick up our pencils and just write whatever came to mind for 5-10 min. This is what I did, and then just pieced my sonnet together from here....

If you were to take a stroll around, or even sit on a stump somewhere, and just think, look at your surroundings, it would be easy to realize how blessed you are. I've often heard events/things described as not a big deal, and it's true- some things don't change who we are, or destiny, or fate. But little things add up and make a difference, even if they start out small. Things like the sound of one guitar. A stranger sat on a lonely bench and made my day more beautiful through sharing a song. Every penny I find in a parking lot makes me one cent richer. It doesn't seem like a lot, and it's not, but it's one more wish that can come true once I throw it in a fountain. Or 24 more days like that, and I will have enough for a gumball. One mile seems shrunken in the vast land before us, but every extra mile you run can strengthen you. It will make you stronger if you let it. And it is worth the extra distance required to visit an old friend. Even if it is a quick trip. I remember following a recipe precisely, and then double-checking with my mom when I saw one of the listed ingredients. She assured me that it belonged, and those cookies would not have tasted half as delicious without one teaspoon of sal. A single simplistic pavillion can be an oasis from a storm one day. They are little graces that help us to see that things will work out. Mending, healing, and moving forward are possible. Every bolt, screw, and nail plays its' parts. An extra 'Z' if sleep can result in a better mood, and a better resolve to be productive. Yes, all small things have a difference and a does, If little things don't, make a difference, what does

There it is-- completely in free verse/ the drafting and thinking stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment