Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No Hope

Isn't it incredible that one of the most well-known and quoted poets of American history had "no hope" written next to her name on the class roll? Not only is "no hope" incorrect, but "average" is a litote as well. Class last Thursday has deeply impacted the way I think of Emily Dickinson, though I have always loved her writing. On my bulletin board above my bed at home (you know, where I put all my important things, like a picture my younger sister drew for me, tickets from Gavin DeGraw's concert, a few favorite photos, etc) I have the quote by Emily Dickinson,

"They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity."

No hope?
The 1,700 poems that she had written were not discovered until after her death, and to me that says a lot about her character as well. Sister Steadman said that one of the best ways to describe her is ambiguous. I would like to add geniune as well. Emily Dickinson did not write to become famous, or to have people love her poetry. She did not write to prove anything to anyone, or to make something of herself. She wrote to express herself, to pass time doing something she loved. This is very powerful to me, and inspiring as well. Poetry to me, is very personal, and should be written as though you are writing for yourself to read, or those who are close to you. Let the critics make slashes in your poetry, outsiders turn their heads. Let "no hope" be written next to your efforts. If you write what is in your heart, and end up with a sincere poem in front of you, there is not much else as satisfying.

ambiguous- having several possible meanings or interpretations.

litotes-understatement

No comments:

Post a Comment