Monday, February 1, 2010

Rainbows and the World

My Heart Leaps Up....
It is interesting that Wordsworth says "natural piety" because we often read in the scriptures that the natural man is an enemy to God. I personally interepreted that as if Wordsworth was referring to a child, or innocent child-like attributes. I like that he ALWAYS wants to find himself fascinated in nature. The rainbow in this poem not only seems to be a representation of nature, but of God's hand in nature and life, since God created the rainbow as a promise, and to prove His love.
The World is Too Much With Us....
I think that there is a difference with the word "world," as Wordsworth chose, and the word "earth." The world seems to refer to a greedy type of living, of going through actions to stay alive, while earth sounds to me, more like a lovely place to live, full of nature. They sound so different, and yet both represent the same place where we live. It was interesting for me to think about while reading. I also enjoy imagery from the line "It moves us not," and I picture someone standing, unaffected, or "unmoved" in a less literal sense. We are "becomming out of tune," as is mentioned. I couldn't help but think that becomming out of tune is a gradual process. According to Wordsworth, we are slowly straying from recognizing nature.
Last thought-- it is interesting to me that both of the Greek Gods that he mentions (Proteus and Triton) are Sea Gods. Why?
After reading these poems, I am very much a fan of Wordsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment