Monday, February 15, 2010

Title: Title

As I was searching online to find two short stories to read by Nathaniel Hawthorne for my author spotlight, I realized how important titles are. Not that I have never thought about it before, but it is very interesting to skim over all the titles... "Sunday at Home," "Old News," "The Pomegranate Seeds," etc, and see which short stories capture my interest. For me, coming up with a title is a hard thing to master. Not only do you want to give the reader an idea of what your writing will be about, but it needs to be catchy too. At the same time, you don't usually want to give away too much information before the reader even starts. In A.P. Lanuguage and Composition my jr year, my teacher actually deducted 5-10 points if you forgot to put a title on your writing. This seemed like a lot, but it emphasized his point that titles are important, and I agree that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment