Thursday, April 8, 2010

Indecisive

I have been contemplating coming to BYU for the summer semester, and have swayed back and forth from that decision many times. What do you do when your choices seem to balance the differences perfectly? My sister and I used to tease my mom when we would ask her, "Mom what's your favorite movie?" And her answer would go something along the lines of, "Well, it depends on what mood I'm in." Or, "Hey Mom, which one was your favorite type of pasta?" "Oh I can't pick a favorite, I just love ALL the flavors!"
More and more, I'm realizing we are all a little indecisive at times. Some things, like what color of a cup to drink from, are not significant.
I also LOVE the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson (which Johanna shared in her author spotlight)
"A foolish consistency is the hobgolin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now... and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks.... though it contradict everything you said today....."
It is a great quote that makes me feel free to tell other people my plans, then I don't need to worry to upset them if I change my mind. Ultimately it's up to me, and it's ok to jump from one side of the ship to the other every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment